Monday, February 27, 2006

Disney Shorts and Hand-drawn Animation

When I was nine years old, my father -- a background artist at DIsney -- came home one day and told the family that Walt had just laid off most of the animation staff.  This happened after "Sleeping Beauty."  Dad was one of the survivors, and was happy to be one.
 
Disney went on producing hand-drawn animated features until "Home on the Range" wrapped in 2004.
 
Today Ed Catmull, the soon-to-be President of Disney Feature Animation, told animation employees that the new creative team planned to explore doing more hand-drawn features.  He also said that producing more shorts would be part of the agenda.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best news I've heard in some time.
Thank you.
Also I thank Ron Howard, for "Curious George" and putting the "G" back in feature animation. I still think it story telling for the little ones, and the music too.

Nick Sung said...

That's the most terrific news.
I hope the future is good to animation.

Jeremy Bernstein said...

Ahhhh...music to my ears.

Site Meter