Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What I Told a Nick Veep

Had a nice conversation with a Nickelodeon executive today. Kind of a "Hi, howdy" thing, an introductory sit-down... After pleasantries, the vice-president asked if there were any issues I wanted to share. I said the only ones that came to mind were the hours of uncompensated overtime that most tv animation houses -- including Nick -- often have their employees do. I said I didn't know how many grievances would result from uncompensated o.t., since most employees don't like to stick their heads up above the parapet too high. But I made clear it was an ongoing issue. The veep thanked me for being frank and open.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having this conversation with my sister today since where I work they do not pay overtime as well. She waned to know if we were compensated in ohter ways like getting paid a bigger salary to make up for all the OT we put in or an extra day off (I wish).

Kevin Koch said...

Do you work at one of the studios?

Anonymous said...

I work at an independent studio that does shows for Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network. We are all hired as freelancers and if they choose to they renew our contracts when the time comes. We work at least 45 hours a week.

Kevin Koch said...

If you're working in California, state law says you're obligated to get paid overtime (unless you're an 'exempt' employee, which only applies in special cases). If you're working in the LA area, since you're subcontracting for union studios, you must be paid union minimum, plus several dollars an hour to make up for the lack of union benefits.

Give Steve a call at the union office if any of that isn't happening, and he can try to help.

Anonymous said...

unfortunately I work in New York and I wish there was a union out here like that. Is there a way to start a union on the east coast?

Steve Hulett said...

Anonymous:

This is Biz Rep Hulett talking. Animation Guild Local 841 was the 'toon union in New York for many years. It's now defunct. The Cinematographers Guild, Local 600 IATSE is now the union there with the jurisdiction.

You can contact John Amman at Local 600. He's the east caost rep. (official title: Eastern Regional Business Rep.) His e-mail is: ja@ipgla.com

Steve Hulett said...

Anonymous:

This is Biz Rep Hulett talking. Animation Guild Local 841 was the 'toon union in New York for many years. It's now defunct. The Cinematographers Guild, Local 600 IATSE is now the union there with the jurisdiction.

You can contact John Amman at Local 600. He's the east caost rep. (official title: Eastern Regional Business Rep.) His e-mail is: ja@ipgla.com

Site Meter