Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Adventures of Moe (Part 2)

In this second installment of The Moe Gollub Story, Mark Kirkland details Moe's involvement in the 1941 strike, how the "have and have not" culture of the pre-strike studio caused him to hit the bricks, and how some friendships were never the same....

Mark also talks about Moe's work for the Korda brothers on The Jungle Book (1942 live-action version), and his philosophical position on teaching art. We also hear about his encounter with Academy-award winning cinematographer Gregg Toland, and Moe's wartime experiences in the South Pacific.


Hit the Play button on the widget to listen to part 2 of the interview, or click on this link to download it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is great stuff. I worked with both Moe and Mark while at Hanna-Barbera in the seventies.

I continue to be fascinated by the events at Disney in the forties. Like Mark, I've had the opportunity to talk with a number of animation veterans about that turbulent time.

Thanks a lot for this insight into a very special guy.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a painting signed by M. Gollub on the back, in 2 different spots. The painting is roughly 2' x 3'.

It is a black and white painting of8 American Indians on horses, running around, with lots of motion and character. The painting has a 1.5" red stained simple square frame.

This painting was left to me by my father, who said that he found it in an abandoned theater in Missouri.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this painting or what it might be a painting of?

Thanks for your help, please contact for pictures me via my email address:

rich@dnoa.net

Thanks,
Richard Buchanan

Site Meter