Thursday, February 28, 2008

At Fox Animation

Some days I don't know what I use for brains. I drove to Fox Animation on Wilshire (where Family Guy and American Dad are created), for some reason expecting to find lots of people back after the writers' strike.

Stupid me. I knew from last time that artists were cycling off to extended hiatuses as the work ran out. But there was no way they were going to be back yet, since writers have only returned a few weeks ago and there's no backlog of work yet ...

Both the FG and AD units are still semi-deserted, the large rooms filled with empty cubicles. There's some directors and designers around, a sprinkling of board artists, but most everybody else is still on extended hiatus.

A few artists still have layoff dates staring them in the face, but they're okay with a little time off. One said:

The last four months I've been stressed out. And sick a lot. I haven't been on layoff, but the waiting and non-stop worrying about what was going to happen got to me ...

The question most asked was: "So, are the actors going out?"

I said I didn't know. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

I know you guys are mostly West Coast, but you got any insight in so far as east coast productions and things of that nature. If not, that's cool, but can you point a brother in the right direction if you got a second. Much appreciated. Big fan of this blog spot...Knowledge is power.

Vic out.

Steve Hulett said...

Largest studio, most stable studio that I know about is Blue Sky. It's recently been on Broadway in White Plains, New York, but is moving to Connecticut.

There are smaller shops in Manhattan. I think that Nick has a unit, and the company that did "Courage the Cowardly Dog" might still be around.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but the east coast isn't my area of expertise.

Robiscus said...

Stretch Films made "Courage The Cowardly Dog" and they are most definitely not around anymore.

C.M.B. said...

The latest news around Fox is they're working on a Family Guy spinoff about Cleveland that's still in the development status. No news on a greenlight or anything, but as much as people like to dump on the artwork of those shows, they do employ a LOT of artists.

Anonymous said...

Cleveland show's been picked up for thirteen episodes apparently. Rumor is it'll be a third Fox Animation crew at 5700 Wilshire Blvd.

Site Meter