Thursday, September 17, 2009

In memoriam

We've had a number of deaths in the animation community these last few months. We thought it would be appropriate to note them here.

Animator BILL BROWNE passed away on January 23. Bill worked for many studios both on the East and West Coasts. Among others, he worked on the Tom & Jerry Kids as well as Hanna-Barbera’s feature animation unit on Once Upon a Forest.

Not only was he an animator but also an accomplished watercolorist. Bill’s nephew David is in the process of creating a website at artworkbybillbrowne.zoomshare.com, that will be updated over the next few months for everyone to enjoy Bill’s artwork. — Ivan Camilli

Painter, checker and supervisor ALLA MARSHALL, who worked for Hanna-Barbera and Filmation from 1966 until 1983, died on July 2 at the age of eighty-seven. From 1979 until her retirement she was Filmation’s ink-and-paint supervisor. She was the widow of animator John Marshall, who passed away in 2007.


SERGE MICHAELS, who worked as a background artist, writer and designer for Film Roman, Disney, Rich Animation, Frederator and Nickelodeon since 1989, died on September 10.


ANN NEALE, who worked as a cel painter, opaquer and paint lab technician for Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, Kroyer and Disney from 1977 until 2002, died on August 7 at the age of seventy-seven.


Lastly, we just received word that FLAVIA MITMAN has passed away. Flavia was an industry veteran who ended her career as the Ink and Paint supervisor at Filmation ... so the two final i & p supes at what was the largest animation studio in Los Angeles (circa 1985) have died within months of each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am the sister of Serge Michaels. Thank you for mentioning that he has passed away. Our family misses him dearly. Please note, however, that the picture associated with the notice is not a picture of my brother. Please let me know if you would like me to email a picture of him to you. Thank you again for your mention. My family appeciates it.
Sincerely,
Pamela Small

Unknown said...

It is with sadness that I recently learn that Serge has pass away, I'd first would like to which my condolence to the family, friends and colleagues even though it's been 4 years. I have met Serge probably close to 20 years ago, I first met him in CA, while visiting him with a friend R.Ostiguy who introduce me to Serge. At that time I was travailing frequently to CA and use to call Serge she I was in LA so we could hang out and go diner and such. He visited us a couple of time here in Montreal and we had such a great time with him. I still can't believe he's no longer with us... I'd like to chat with you Pamela if you dont mind, you can contact me at: andre@projetvita.com RIP Serge I miss you so much.

Love

André

Site Meter