Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Russ Edmonds Interview -- Part I


TAG Interview with Russ Edmonds

Find all TAG Interviews on the TAG website at this link

Russ Edmonds was working as an engineer at the Three-Mile Island nuclear plant when an urge to work at another job overcame him ...

A self-taught artist, he wrote Disney Feature Animation inquiring about work in Cartoonland. Disney suggested that he knock on California Institute of the Arts door, which he did. And a few, short years later, he was animating on Brad Bird's "Family Dog" and getting himself hired at Disney Feature ...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, if at all possible could you ask Russ the next time you see him if he was part of the team on Lion King who went on the research trip to Kenya. My Aunt helped organised that trip for the disney team. It'd be lovely to know.

Anonymous said...

You know, the vast majority of TAG members work in CG. Wouldn't it be great to find out who the bright lights in CG animation are and interview them? Even just ONE?

And I don't mean to bag on Russ Edmonds in any way.

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice. I love Russ's work and very much value the fact I've gotten to learn a fare share from the man.
Grayson Ponti

Steve Hulett said...

I liked the interview.

As to the CG artists, will try to interview some. (We did talk to Jim Hillin a while back. He's an icon in the CG community.)

Anonymous said...

Russ Edmonds is now a CG animator.

Anonymous said...

Yes he is. He told me himself that he is now working on Wreck-It Ralph and is going to work on Frozen. He trained last year and is doing very well in CG.

Anonymous said...

So Russ moved back to L.A. ? I thought he had a farm up north?

Anonymous said...

I love the explanation Russ went into about learning horses, and the connection as a result. I am digging this interview so far.

Site Meter