Friday, May 17, 2013

Sequelmania

Since they're all the rage, there is this.

I have been thinking about [Incredibles 2]. People think that I have not been, but I have. Because I love those characters and love that world. I am stroking my chin and scratching my head. I have many, many elements that I think would work really well in another [Incredibles] film, and if I can get ‘em to click all together, I would probably wanna do that. I like the idea of moving a little more quickly in films. I’m looking for ways to accelerate the pace a little bit and figure out a way to keep creative control over these movies to a level where I’m comfortable with the end result but also speed them up a bit and make more of them. I have many different films I wanna make. It’s like a big airplane hangar and I have different projects on the floor; half-assembled in my brain. I’m interested in all of them. You kind of have to move on the ones people are willing to pay for and the ones you’re most excited about.

Of course, Brad Bird could move more quickly ...

Because animated features are produced in, what? Nine ... seven ... six months these days? The production schedules are almost like live-action, with lots of bodies thrown at this project or that to meet a release date. Story development, of course, is something else again. That part of the process can take freaking years, and often does.

But that makes it somewhat easier for Brad, I think. He could work on the story, go off and shoot a live-action feature, come back and work on the story some more, then make one more live-action movie, and then swing over to Pixar and helm the last frenetic six months of production work on the sequel. (And he could always have a co-director for the in-between times, couldn't he?)

There's ways of getting this done. Michael Curtiz and John Ford used to make three and sometimes four movies a year. No reason the directors of the 21st century can't do the same. Skype! Technology!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One can only hope that Brad does do Incredibles 2, that would be awesome. If Disney was ever really serious about bringing back 2d, they need to put Brad in the director and story chair. Ray Gunn, is that thing ever going to see the light of day? Brad was just awesome on Iron Giant, after working on that film I have compared all other directors to him.

T M said...

The Incredibles is one of the few films that I think actually would do well with sequels. They've established the characters and world in the first movie, now they can build on that in later films.

Plus, if it's a Pixar film, it's likely to live up to the original in terms of quality.

That being said, I do wish studios would try to get more original projects in their schedule.

Site Meter